Thursday, October 4, 2012

Home Improvement Part I: The Bench

A recent slew of home improvement projects has encouraged me to abandon my long hiatus from blogging. After moving into our new Carmel apartment, Rose and I diligently have begun the task of constructing a space that is definitively not a college residence (despite the fact that our apartment bleeds vibes that feel suspiciously like South Campus Apartments at Anderson. . .)

With my birthday coming up this weekend I am staying plenty busy but thought I would start with a quick entry about a beautiful bench I purchased at a garage sale that was on the side of SR32 somewhere between Noblesville and Anderson. Rose and I also picked up a few old trunks with the intention of restoring them, but that is an entirely different, and significantly more epic, story.


So this lovely $20 piece just needed some rags, sandpaper and a lot of paint.


A few trips to Ace and several Google searches later (as it turns out, I need a little help to navigate projects that actually involve the hardware store) and the bench transformed into this vibrant piece.

In addition to adding the pop of colour by the window, it also solved our kitchen storage problem. No more aimless clutter on top of the refrigerator!

I'll try to keep updated with the apartment progress and will even attempt to be more diligent with documenting things with pictures. (Hmmm, I'm pretty sure using a form of "diligent" twice in one blog entry is overkill. Next time I'll pull out the thesaurus.)

Check back Sunday to see the results of my desk project!

4 comments:

  1. OOOOOOOOO, Dad will love it, cuz it's blue. It really changes that spot by changing the color. Lovely, my dear:)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant. Inspiring. I will look upon the junk in my basement with new vision. I can't wait to see what you do with the desk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowwwwza wowwww! What beauty you bring to this world, young flower.

    ReplyDelete