Sunday, July 25, 2010

Ice Cream Cake :D

For my co-worker, Amanda's, birthday, I made my first attempt at an ice cream cake. It was actually quite a bit easier to make than I originally anticipated, although I realized after I had already put it together that my version doesn't actually have any CAKE in it.A lot of websites suggested using a spring-form pan. I haven't invested in one yet, but my sister suggested using layer cake pans lined with plastic wrap which worked quite well. I used low-carb ice cream since Amanda is on a low-carb diet for medical reasons, but obviously any flavor can be substituted.Unfortunately, I didn't get a very good picture of the layers, but this one gives the general idea. Between the ice cream layers are layers of diced strawberries (mixed with a bit of granulated Splenda) and crushed up chocolate animal crackers mixed with fudge ice cream topping (this was definitely the best layer in my opinion).I frosted the top with Cool Whip. Although I wasn't able to make it completely smooth, it worked decently. I looked online afterward and found a few variations on the whipped-topping-frosting that I might experiment with in the future. For decorating, I used dark chocolate melting wafers. I just put them in a ziplok and snipped the corner. I had to reheat them several times, and there are a few trouble spots on the cake, but overall I like how it came out. The swirls are coloured in with strawberry syrup (I used a paintbrush) and of course there is the strawberry fan.I was pleased with the results considering it was my first, and more importantly Amanda loved it!
p.s. here's a picture of the 4th of July cupcake flag I made. Directions are in "Hello, Cupcake"

No comments:

Post a Comment